Dance Studio/Unitarian Church
Entry Remodeling & ADA Accessibility System
University of California, Berkeley
The UC Berkeley Dance Department occupies the former First Unitarian Church that was built in 1898. The building has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places, No. 81000143 and is also the City of Berkeley Landmark #48. The building was designed by Albert C. Schweinfurth, who unconventionally utilized Shingle Style architecture, normally seen in homes of that period, to the construction of this church. Other noteworthy design items include the use of industrial-style metal sash windows, sections of redwood tree trunks as pillars, a strong horizontal emphasis, and a semicircular apse with a conical roof. We have undertaken design work in conjunction with Dillingham Landscape Architects and the project includes the rehabilitation of the existing main entry porch, vestibule and doors, along with an accessible path of travel to the building and entry.