Western Pacific Passenger Station
The Western Pacific Railroad’s Oakland passenger station was built in 1910. After train service ended and the last California Zephyr passed through, the building became a cultural center, then a discotheque, then a warehouse space, and finally, offices. Significant detailing both inside and outside had been removed by the time our design effort began.
The building was broken up into a series of offices, with a discrete street entrance for each individual tenant. Large windows and skylights allow daylight to flood the offices. Bright colors were introduced and play off the original subdued neutral station walls. Current seismic and disability code requirements were integrated into the renovation of the building.