BERNARD STEIN, PRINCIPAL
Bernard Stein has always maintained a small practice since forming his first office in 1976. He has served as a board member of the American Institute of Architects and he has been a member of the faculties of the Departments of Architecture and City Planning at the University of California, Berkeley.
He believes in striving for quality design within a client’s budget and in respecting the individual needs of each client and project. He aims to create architecture that balances contemporary and traditional design sensibilities while honoring the unique interests and tastes of each client.
The illustrated projects, which are from Bernie's many years of practice, represent this approach towards architecture and design. Some of the represented projects were designed in his previous partnerships, and Bernie would like to thank his former partners for their ideas, support and enthusiasm.
- University of California
Lecturer, Departments of Architecture and City Planning
College of Environmental Design, 1975 to 1981
- Swatt and Stein, Architects and Planners, 1976 to 1984
- Bernard Stein AIA, Architecture, Planning and Interior Design, 1984 to 1989
- Kurtzman and Stein, Architecture, Planning and Interior Design, 1989 to 1992
- Stein Architects, Architecture, Planning and Interior Design, 1992 to the present
- City College of New York, Bachelor of Science, 1970
- City College of New York, Bachelor of Architecture, 1971
- University of California at Berkeley, Master of Architecture, 1973
- University of California at Berkeley, Master of City Planning, 1975
- Licensed, State of California, 1981
Civic and Professional Participation
- Past Board of Directors, American Institute of Architects, East Bay Chapter
- Past Board of Directors, Oakland-Piedmont Jewish Community Center
- Past Board of Directors, Jewish Federation of the Greater East Bay
- Past Chairman, Facilities Committee Jewish Federation of the Greater East Bay